Volunteer Center FAQ
How Do I Find Volunteer Opportunities?
- Log in your MyFSU account
- Click on the OrgSync icon near E-mail and FerrisConnect
- Compete the profile or Click on My Orgs > Volunteer Center (if you already have an account)
- Under the Volunteer Center portal, Click on Communication > Discussions
- Select the category you would like to volunteer under
- Select the Volunteer Opportunity that interests you
- Contact the agency to start volunteering!
Definitions of Volunteering
- To do charitable or helpful work without pay
- A method through which citizenship, academic subjects, skills, and values are taught through both service and reflection
How Do I Report Volunteer Hours?
- Log into your Volunteer Center account
- Click on Forms
- Click on "Report Individual Hours"
- Complete and Submit Form
- To give something back to the community
- For fellowship with other volunteers
- For personal growth while learning skills you'll use later in life
- To build your portfolio and resume'
- To do meaningful work for your own personal issues
- 6 out of 10 youths feel that volunteering is the best solution to community problems
Why should I Report My Volunteer Hours?
- The Volunteer Center is a United Way Agency. Volunteer hours are reported to United Way to ensure our funding, helping us provide students with volunteer opportunities.
- Recognition for volunteering and the chance for you or your RSO to be honored for outstanding community service
- Resume' building
Creative Ways to Volunteer...
- Distributing stuffed animals to hospitalized children
- Disaster relief work
- Christmas fundraiser to buy for the needy
- Collecting pennies for the poor
- Working without pay at the local shelter or hospital
Does your organization need money for service projects?
- Michigan Campus Compact offers grants to students and student organizations.
- Please contact the Student Volunteer Center for more information.
National Days of Service
- Make a Difference Day in October
- Martin Luther King Day in January
- National Volunteer Week in Apri
For these days, the VC works with area agencies to coordinate special adopt-a-project programs for students and members of the Mecosta-Osceola community. The goal for these days is to promote community service as a fun group activity, and to encourage first-time volunteers to participate.
- The Volunteer Center works with public and private non-profit agencies.
- For the 2010-11 school year, FSU students reported more than 40,000 hours of community service.
The Volunteer Center is able to operate through general contributions from the Mecosta-Osceola United Way.